HOCHBAHN combines as many elements of the work as possible in order to make the best use of the 14-month period services are interrupted between Baumwall and Hauptbahnhof. The centerpiece of the project is the complete renewal of the U-Bahn trough construction, i.e. the tunnel exit of the U3 at Mönkedamm. In addition, the following work will be carried out:
- U3 station Mönckebergstraße: conversion for barrier-free access and construction of a second station entrance
- U3 station Rathaus: conversion for barrier-free access
- U3 station Rödingsmarkt: extensive maintenance work
- Waterproofing and maintenance work on the tunnel between Mönckebergstraße and the trough construction
- Repair and maintenance of the viaducts
- Renewal of the tracks, track ballast bedding, cabling and power rails between Mönkedamm/trough construction and Rödingsmarkt
Almost all elements of the project are classified as protected historical monuments. Because of this and the very restricted space for the underground and surface building work, particular care is needed. The amount invested in the renovation and conversion for barrier-free access of the U3 in the city centre totals some 90 million euros.
After completion in 2022, all U-Bahn stations in the city centre area (including the U1 stations Jungfernstieg and Steinstraße), and thus 95 % of our stations will have been converted for barrier-free access.